<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, March 20, 2005

40 acres and a mule... 

...or not. I actually have about a quarter acre of rocks and desert hard-pan. My previous gardening attempts here in the high desert of Northern Nevada have not been runaway successes, to say the least. I have coaxed a few things from the soil, mostly weeds, but also a few herbs, some wildflowers and sedges, miscellaneous flats of pretty things from Home Depot.

Year before last, I had a pretty good start on a few hills of pumpkins/squashes (Luminas, Jack-Be-Littles, Connecticut Fields and Sugar Pies), but I started too late in the season, and in late September, everything was killed off with one mighty frost. Heartbreak.

So this year, I'm doin' it up right. I've actually bought some books, ordered some interesting heirloom species online, and started seedlings indoors for a targeted plant date in early May.

So this is where I'm going to record everything: times, dates, processes, etc. Then I can look back on this when everything dies in a freak snowstorm in August, and see just how much time and effort and money I've wasted.

Wish me luck!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?