<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Getting started… 

I bought a shit-load of seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (link at right). Good folks, fast and cheap shipping. No matter how many seeds you buy, shipping is only $2.95.

Anyway, here's what I'm going to attempt to grow this season (descriptions from Baker Creek catalog):

WINTER SQUASHES:

SUMMER SQUASHES:

TOMATOES:

MELONS:

ASSORTED WILDFLOWERS:


Wildly ambitious? Yes! Foolhardy in the extreme? Yes! Setting myself up for disappointment? We'll see!

Here's how I've started my seeds (March 16):

I bought a shop light ($17.95), two 40-watt flourescent bulbs ($5.95) and a timer ($4.95) at Lowe's. I've got the lamp housing set directly on two cement blocks on the shop bench in the garage, about 3-4" above the tops of the seedling cups.

The seedling cups are 30 sets of two clear plastic party cups, set one on top of the other, and taped together with masking tape. Each bottom cup has three holes drilled in the bottom, the top cups are labeled with a label-maker.

I've filled each with a 50/50 mix of moist sphagnum moss and vemiculite. Each cup has three seeds and about 10 spritzes of water from a spray bottle. I forgot to spray the Black Futsu before I taped them up, so I'll have to keep an eye on those and see how fast they dry out.

My only concern at this point is the temperature in the garage. It's snowing like a mofo right now, so it's pretty cold out there. I don't have anything at this point to regulate the temp near the seedlings, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they're not too terribly cold out there.

Looked online today and found out that the average date of last frost in Northern Nevada is the middle of May, so I'm pretty much on schedule for starting the tomatoes, but kind of early for starting the squashes. I'll have transplant to bigger containers at least once before they go in the ground.

Haven't started the wildflowers yet. Probably next week. I'm in the process of finally buying a digital camera, so look for more pictures, less yapping, very soon.

Like I said, its snowing today. Probably the last big one for the season, but you never know. It's nice to be pro-active inside, though. I'm drawing garden diagrams, whispering to my seedlings, dreaming of a bountiful harvest. Last night before the storm hit, I cut back a bunch of last year's growth and added to the compost pile (if you can call a 6-foot high pyramid of dry, crunchy tumbleweeds a compost pile). I also emptied out some of last year's containers. I need to scrub them out and add fresh soil for this year. Not sure yet what I want to put in containers.

So that's what's going on for now. I'll probably just be tidying up the back lot and checking on seedling for awhile now. I'll post later with any breaking news!

Comments:
Every weekend i used to pay a quick visit this web page, as i want enjoyment, since this this web site conations genuinely fastidious funny data
too.

My site; work from home rochester
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?