<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, March 27, 2005

I can hear the tomatoes protesting 

Every one of the seedling cups has something poking through as of this morning... except for the tomatoes. Thass fine, I know they just need a bit more time. I got kinda creeped out yesterday when I looked at one of the squash cups. Nothing poking out the top yet, but a little white root had already pushed through to the bottom of the cup and was curling around the bottom. I don't know why that's creepy, it just is. Magical, but creepy.

It's like old-time alchemy of a sort. You take these inanimate, dried-up little pods out of a paper envelope, add soil, moisture and light, and they come to life. The zucchini seedlings are already at least five times bigger than the seeds that I planted. Where's all this extra matter coming from?

Can you tell I'm new at this?

Okay, here's what I'm going to do. I just read somewhere that tomato seeds should sprout in just a few days, and here it is 12 days later and they haven't done anything. I'm going to bring them inside and set them somewhere warm, just until they sprout. Then I'll take them back out to the garage under the lights. Like I mentioned in a post below (but did not make the connection until today...), apparently they need warmth to germinate (70-80 degrees) but not so much warmth once they're up (55 degrees or so). That's do-able.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?