<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

I'm gonna be sore tomorrow 

I actually got a lot done today. I finally weedeated the back yard. Well, most of it. I need to buy a longer extension cord. I built two 4x4 "no-dig" beds. My version of no-dig beds, anyway. I'll post pix later.

These first two beds, I amended the soil with a manure-compost mix, but I think I added too much. I don't know, is a whole big bag of it too much for a 4x4 area? For the remaining beds, I'll just go with a half a bag.

The hardest thing is outlining them with rocks. I've no doubt I'll have enough rocks for 12 of these squares, it's just a lotta extra physical work; bending ... scooping ... placing ... repeat.

So tomorrow, more of the same. Plus, I want to find some time to re-pot my tomato seedlings.

Gah, it snowed so hard a couple of days ago. It didn't stick on the ground long, but there was a tiny mound of it in the back yard when I first got up this morning. It seems like it will never warm up enough to put plants in the ground.

Anyway, yesterday, while the backyard was still a little wet with snowmelt, I Garden Clawed a small area, just to remind myself of what kind of dirt I was dealing with. I remembered thin, rocky, compacted CRAPOLA, but what I was churning up was surprisingly dark, moist and healthy-looking. I mean, I'm no soil expert, but I was just gettin' good vibes from my dirt, knowhuddimean?

And, oh yeah, starting RIGHT NOW, this very minute, I'm an organic gardener. Earlier today, not so organic... There's a huge ant colony in the middle of the yard, and they keep getting on my son and biting him. My husband buried it today under a large coating of Ortho Ant-B-Gone.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?