<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, April 22, 2005

Still sore... 

Yesterday I bought a longer extension cord and weed-whacked the rest of the back yard. It looks so flat and smooth and angular out there now.

I've often wondered how entire civilizations can disappear under layers of earth, only to be found a mere thousand or so years later, completely by accident. I'm starting to understand now. After only two years, the vegetable bed that Rob and I built in the back yard has been almost totally obliterated. There's a ghostly outline of rocks around a handful of indestructible green onions and a very persistent thyme plant. But other than that, its buried under dirt and weeds like it was never there.

So yeah, I did chuck about five tumbleweeds over the fence into my vacant neighbor's lot. And while I was looking through the fence, I saw a bunch of old lumber arranged into what looked like what might have been raised beds at one time. Certainly not from the last tenants, but sometime within the last ten years or so. THEN, last night (I'm getting bolder now that the neighbors have actually moved out...), I peeked over the fence and saw three or four roughly made potting benches stacked up against the wall. I am sooooo over there tonight when it gets dark to bring those puppies home. Dressed up with a little white paint, they'll look DARLING in my little garden paradise.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who's ever tried to make a go of it here in the Gardnerville Ranchos.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?