<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Thirsty 



Today I watered my seedlings for the very first time. They's kinda thirsty. I watered from the bottom and let them sit through one movie ("After the Sunset" with Pierce Brosnan and Salma Hayek), then drained the remaining water out of the trays (cookie sheets).

Note for next year: label the bottom cup, not the top one. Now that the tops are off, the bottom ones now have to be re-labeled. DUH!

White Cushaw is still holding out on me. Those are the only seeds left to sprout. I still have a handful of seed cups hanging out near the lizard cage.

The book that I mentioned in the previous post: another copy of "You Grow Girl" for my friend Cherie. I want her to get all excited about gardening this year with me! I also passed her one of my Costata Romanesco zukes.

I'll probably start another couple of the zucchini seeds, and pass on the one seedling cup that I have left. They sprouted first and got large really quick. They'd be pretty huge before late May when I plan to get stuff in the ground.

Tomato seedlings seem so ... frail. Tall and skinny and little little little. I wish they'd bulk up a bit and I'd stop being so afraid for them. Jakey got his hands on a couple of the seedling cups and shook them like a Polaroid. I had to gently press everything back into place.

I bought a cheap-o thermometer for the garage and set it out today. I'll have to check first thing in the morning to see just how cold it gets out there. Right now at 10:30 pm, it's 60 degrees. It was pretty warm today overall.

Yard-wise: I've straightened up the side yard, mainly because the lawn guys will start up their routine soon (I live in a rental, and someone comes by and cuts and edges every other week). If the side yard is messy, they get pissy and don't do a very good job. I still don't know what I'm going to plant in my little dirt patch there in the side yard. I'm waiting for the primrose to come back, and also the lavendar, but there's probably room for some herbs too, so I'll probably get some from the home store that are already started, and stick those in sometime late May. Nothing complicated, I'm saving all my efforts for the stuff I'll be growing out in the back.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?