<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Almost time... 

Well, it's official. I'm growing pumpkins in the garage. The Winter Luxury Pie "seedlings" have itsy-bitsy "pre-pumpkins" on them. All of the squash seedlings are out of control. Reminder for next year, either don't start them so early, or plant them in bigger tubs.

But the forecast this week looks pretty good. High 70s and low 80s for the rest of the week, and low at night in the high 40s. I'm going to start hardening off this week. Today, actually. But dude, you should've seen how hard it was snowing on Monday up at the Lake. Almost total white-out at times. Totally frickin' ridiculous.

In the meantime, I've gone and started more seeds: cilantro, basil and a dozen more sunflowers. And I bought a huge, beautiful new rosemary plant today at Raley's for a mere $4.

In regards to my list of stuff to do in an earlier post, I'm slowly checking things off. I've started my manure tea, for one. Bought a cheap-ass bird bath at Rite-Aid for $7.99, not bad. Jake keeps tumping it over, though, and drinking the run-off. That'll have to stop as soon as birds actually start bathing in it.

Someone previous tenants must've grown herbs at some point. Last year I noticed a random thyme plant coming up in the side yard. I transplanted it to the back yard, and it's now a good-sized bush. Then last week, I noticed a totally random mint plant growing in the grass in the side yard. I forgot until yesterday to dig it out to transplant it somewhere, and raced home after work and got here literally two minutes before the yard guys came to mow. I dug it up and put it in the back yard as well (the yard guys mow the side yard, but not the back yard). Noticed more mint in around the primrose patch, too. Weird.

Speaking of pretty pink primroses, I'm going to take cuttings off of those in the side yard a little later in the summer, and plant them out back. My plan is to overrun the back yard with invasive stuff that I actually like, like mint and primrose, to take the place of all the weedy crap that's back there now.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?